Friday, March 4, 2011

Goo-Goo: The Epitome of Hard Work, Routine, and Joy

My last post taught you a simple way to encourage yourself and hold accountable your workout lifestyle.  The calendar approach is a great start to confront the man in the mirror.  You can lie to a trainer, but not yourself.

"I'm too busy to workout."
"I can never find time to train."
"I'm too tired to exercise."

You really mean:

"I don't like working out."
"I enjoy eating poorly."
"I'm really just being lazy."

I am not mad, lets just be honest with each other.  I want to help you.  I sometimes don't like to train. I love to eat bad food because it tastes good. A lot of times I can be lazy. But I eat well most of the time and train consistently because it's the right thing to do.


The old man in that picture is Romeo "Jelly" Rovinelli, or Goo-Goo as my brother and sisters called him.  Here is Goo-Goo's resume: 

Born in 1920
US Army Air Corps Veteran of WWII
Father of 4 kids
Retired with the Massachusetts Water Resource Authority after 57 years, 3 months and 28 days in 2007
During the same time worked 55 years part-time with the Public Library retiring in 2002
Longest worker in the history of the Town of Framingham
Usher at St. Bridget's Catholic Church over 55 years

Goo-Goo passed away Tuesday morning at the age of 90. The man retired at the age of 87 and refused to take off work. He lived 90 healthy and happy years. And what was his fitness regiment? It's called work. 

Like Goo-goo, there's a reason why lifters from the old eastern bloc were/are machines. Blue collar work. They hauled hay, dig ditches, laid bricks. 

Now despite what your day job is, the point I am trying to make is that my grandfather only knew how to work and provide for his family. He also had the same routine for 57 years. He ate 3 times a day (6, 12 and 5) and never took a day off.  Most importantly, he loved people and never wasn't wearing a smile. He was a man of faith, family and love. 

He lived 90 years with almost no health problems. He had 30 sick days and died peacefully. That's what life's about. The sad truth is that most the people I love and know will have health problems most their lives and more often than not won't live past 75.  Almost all these health related issues can be prevented or reversed by diet and exercise and without medications. My grandfather is a perfect example. 

Next time you try to make an excuse about working out, take a page out of my grandfathers book. Get your routine, bust your ass, and have a laugh. You'll live a long and plentiful life filled with the family, friends and laughter. 

I love you Goo-goo. 

Be Elite 






No comments:

Post a Comment