Friday, February 11, 2011

Viva Las Vegas!!!

Im heading off to Las Vegas in about an hour, and I was itching for a blog post while waiting for my ride (you were right Kfed!).  Btw, Kfed is short for Kara Federowicz not that white trash TV reality guy.  Kfed and I interned together at AP and she's my home girl doing work out in the Boston area. I have a tremendous amount of respect for her and owe her a personal thank you for training inspirations. Check her out at www.kfedfitness.com


Since I am on it, let me give another few special shout outs. They go above and beyond the Thank you's in the last post because they helped launch B.E.P.T.


-Randy Phillips my Rugby Teammate and Owner of Think! (http://www.thinkpro.net/) for making filthy business cards and some kick ass posters
-Brittany over at Explosion Sports (http://www.explosionsportswear.com/) for custom gear
-Drew Browne for the logo design (Brownestudio.com)
-Megan Brown for being a kick ass client and also introducing me to her husband Drew
-Eric Daninberg aka dirty hippie, aka Bear Grylls. Dberg is a performance coach at AP and a mentor. He's also single ladies, so I can hook you up. 


And back to Vegas. I am heading there for the World Rugby 7's tournament. 






Now, I am heading to this for part business - part pleasure. I'm definitely going to network myself because I'm interested in in training Rugby players at that level.  But at the same time, I am not going to be afraid to let loose a bit. 


Thankfully, I have a good knowledge of human anatomy and should be able to spot out a tranny if one tries to hit on me. Regardless, I have the girl at home so I can only "read the menu and not order." Fair enough. 


Moving on to Rugby. In my opinion this is one of the greatest sports. It is a true test of athletic ability with speed, agility and contact rolled into one. Rugby players are some of the most elite specimens I have ever encountered. I owe Obi some love for convincing me to play. He played at Villanova and was a beast. Here's Obi kissing a snake:






Now Rugby is essentially soccer combined with football and with no pads. Since playing, I have had a few minor injuries, obviously common following a test match. I was asked a good question and it made me think about both the answer and my own training program. The question was:


"How do you train to take a hit with no pads?"


If you have never seen rugby, it looks a bit like this:






That is a great question, and I continue to research it. 


I do know that I am not going to let Gilbert, our 240lb 8 man (like a linebacker) from Tonga (or as he likes to call it "The Kingdom") run 10 meters and flat out blast me with hopes my body will learn to "take the hit."  That is ridiculous. 


However, here are a few pointers to consider:


1. Have Good Form
Reducing your chances of injury in contact sports starts with good technique; in this instance going into a tackle with the ball and/or making a tackle on the ball carrier. This is the responsibility of your skills coach. The better the technique, the smaller the chance of injury. Hmmm, maybe the NFL has a point when they say it's the coaches responsibility to teach proper tackle form to reduce injury?!!?!


2. Strengthen your Core 
In addition to learning the and perfecting the form involved in performing your sport, you can certainly prevent injury in contact sports by strengthening and learning to engage your core (obliques, pelvic floor, transverse abdominis, etc). Having a strong pillar (essentially hip girdle to shoulders) will certainly minimize injury when your body encounters a heavy blow by stabilizing and at least protecting some of your major organs. 


3. Good Movement Patterns
Having good foundational movement patterns will always limit injury. Clean up your movement patterns (running, squating, jumping, etc) and train them consistently. In addition, selecting strength exercises that have strong similarities to the sport will not only improve your performance, but strengthen you movement pattern within that skill.  For example, a scrum looks a hell of a lot like a sled push. 


4. Hypertrophy
Add some skeletal muscle. If I hit a Skreetch from Save by the Bell as hard as I can, then hit AC Slater (State Champ Wrestler who only sits in chairs backwards), who is less likely to be injured? Add some muscle. Yes, they will be sore, but having extra muscle will protect bones and organs. I'll take a muscle contusion over a broken arm of punctured kidney any day. 


Wish me luck. I may throw the my brother's rent check on black.  

No comments:

Post a Comment